In today’s podcast we are joined by Nikola Danaylov, host of the popular Singularity 1 on 1 podcast, and a man who has interviewed 170 experts about singularity related topics. After establishing the meaning of the term singularity, we discuss the wide range of opinions held by thinkers in the field. We learn that although there is no single consensus. there are some clusterings of opinion, a few of which fall upon disciplinary lines. Nikola reveals that after doing his show for five years, he is less convinced the singularity will happen then he used to be. After walking through the various routes that could get us to a singularity, we discuss the validity of accelerating returns and the need for diversity in the future. Finally, we conclude by considering the current state of the futurist community.
- Singularity weblog
- Singularity 1 on 1 podcast
- Article: 17 Definitions of the Technological Singularity
- Nikola’s Interview with MIguel Nocolelis and Ronald Cicurel, Brain Simulation Skeptics
- The Law of Accelerating Returns
- The Hedonistic Imperative