This week’s episode is about the sharing economy. We discuss the term and try to decide if the companies that use it are really doing anything new or just using a buzzword to screw workers and evade regulations. We discuss Airbnb, Uber, Lyft, Fold.it, Couchsurfing, Seti@Home, Streetbank, Zipcar, eBay, and craigslist. Are these sites really just sophisticated barter systems? If so, what about math trades and offer networks? Is the sharing economy, like outsourcing, just a stop on the way to the much more profound automation economy?
- Against Sharing in Jacobin Magazine
- Uber’s CEO on Self Driving Cars
- Eight Sharing Economy Companies
- A ‘Math Trade’? WTF is that?
- Beyond Money by Ben Goertzel