On this podcast, we talk about games and the future. Eric Zimmerman has pronounced this the “Ludic Century” and has said the 21st century will be defined by games. We approach this idea from three points of view: first we talk about games as an entertainment medium and whether they might grow relative to passive entertainment like reading or watching video. Second, we talk about the emerging field of game design theory and what it can learn from, and teach to, existing social sciences like psychology and economics. Finally we discuss how life itself in the future might increasingly resemble a game in many ways.
- Eric Zimmerman’s Manifesto for a Ludic Century
- The Grasshopper: Games, Life and Utopia by Bernard Suits
- Virtual Weimar: Hyperinflation in a Video Game World
- Sid Meier: “A Game is a series of interesting choices”
- Borderlands’ Randy Pitchford “Video Games Are Magic”