There is no doubt decentralized powerful technologies are coming, and the conventional wisdom is that you cannot control these things easily. In this episode, we discuss drugs, security, and general purpose computing as decentralized technologies that resist control. Will it be possible to control nearly invisible life-logging technologies of the future? What about gun control in a world of 3-D printing? What do surveillance and piracy have in common? What do you think would allow us to keep our freedom while protecting against existential risks? Why do they freeze the pre-criminals in Minority Report? This topic gets big fast, so hold on to your hats! Keep the emails and comments coming, we love to hear from you!
- The Coming Civil War over General Purpose Computing By Cory Doctorow
- Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace by Lawrence Lessig
- An article about Comcast and Apple; and one about Comcast and Netflix
- Moore’s Law of Mad Science
- David Marusek
- Transparent Society by David Brin