In this podcast we return to the idea of technological unemployment: if it’s happening, what should we do? We consider three ways technological unemployment might be defeated: rising standards of living might outrun inequality, education and cognitive enhancement might solve our retraining problems, or new platforms and needs might emerge and create new demands. But if that doesn’t happen, we have three types of options. We cover the range of options from recidivism to artificial scarcity, to enhanced social safety nets.
- The Second Machine Age by McAfee and Brynjolfsson
- Review the Future podcast 002: Should We Be Worried About Technological Unemployment?
- Decline of Scarcity post: Why the Market and Technology Aren’t Playing Well Together (and Five Possible Solutions to Fix the Problem)
- Why the future doesn’t need us by Bill Joy
- Jaron Lanier on YouTube
- Autonomous Corporations
- Social Democratic America by Lane Kenworthy
- Wikipedia entry on Jacques Fresco