In today’s podcast, we talk with Martin Ford about his new book Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future. We discuss which job sectors are most vulnerable to automation in the near future and to what degree technology might be the driving force behind troubling economic trends. Martin describes his version of a basic income, which features built-in tiers and incentives. He also responds to some of the skepticism leveled at his writing by reviewers such as Robin Hanson. All in all, we found it to be a fascinating discussion.
- Book: Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future?
- Article: Burger flipping robot
- Review: Robin Hanson’s critique of Ford
- Wikipedia: The Peltzman Effect
- Wikipedia: Simon-Ehrlich Wager
- Article: Republicans introducing basic income?
- Article: Google’s self driving car sharing plan
- Article: Rising house prices are main cause of inequality?
Other Recent Content by Review the Future
- LET GO: an indie sci fi graphic novel
- Guest Spot: Robot Overlordz podcast, episode 138
- Guest Spot: Futurology podcast episode 19